Sunday, November 26, 2006

Robert Pirsig Interview

"The only Zen you find on the tops of mountains is the Zen you bring up there", said Robert Pirsig. Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance - An Inquiry Into Values, his first book, had the distinction of being rejected by 121 publishers before it saw the light of the day and went on to sell 5 million copies worldwide.

The Enlightenment Experience
"Suddenly I realized that the person who had come this far was about to expire. I was terrified, and curious as to what was coming. I felt so sorry for this guy I was leaving behind. It was a separation. This is described in the psychiatric canon as catatonic schizophrenia. It is cited in the Zen Buddhist canon as hard enlightenment. I have never insisted on either - in fact I switch back and forth depending on who I am talking to.'

Here is the latest Robert Pirsig Interview by Tim Adams of the Observer. Get an abridged version here.

Jay, from Bangalore

No comments: